A Timeline of Salvation Army of Greenville
1904: The Salvation Army of Greenville County officially opened to the public in 1904 and we have been serving our community ever since. For more information, you may be interested to read “Way Down Beside the Reedy River” that was written by Church member Ray Kitchen.
1904-1907: Our “Century of Service” began in a tent located at the corner of Brown and Washington Street . Here, The Salvation Army offered a religious message and good music to all those willing to listen. After years of migrating from location to location, the Army’s first permanent home was completed. Mr. C.E. Graham donated the lot the building stood on, which took on the name ‘Citadel.’
1908-1910: The Salvation Army Women’s Social Services Department opened the Shelter for Homeless Women and Maternity Home. Mrs. W. G. Sirrine and Mrs. W. W. Burgiss formed the Charity Aid Society.
1917-1921: The Salvation Army assumed operation of the Bruner Home, which was a home for orphaned and abandoned children. The Emma Moss Booth Memorial Hospital was opened and began operating as one of the main city hospitals.
1938-1942: The Salvation Army Red Shield Boys Club was formed with the aid of Mr. P.D. Meadors, a local candy manufacturer. The Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club (formerly The Salvation Army Red Shield Boys Club) began the Community Camping Program. This program offered a healthy outdoor experience in a summer camp setting.
1950: The Salvation Army broke ground for the new ‘Citadel’ on Rutherford Street.
1969: The Boys and Girls Club operation moved to a new facility on Owens Street.
1984-1988: The Salvation Army-operated overnight homeless shelter underwent re-establishment to meet the needs of the growing homeless population.
1994-2003: The Salvation Army Service Unit in Seneca was dedicated as a full-fledged Corps operation. The Salvation Army Service unit in Easley was dedicated as a full-fledged Corps operation. The Mary C. Davidson Dining Building was opened on the Rutherford Street property. A new lodging facility for men was completed and the Women’s Shelter was renovated to better meet the needs of the residents. A new Thrift Store and warehouse were completed on Rutherford Street.
2005: The Greenville, SC Corps received preliminary approval to build an endowed Ray and Joan Kroc Community Center, as described in Mrs. Kroc’s $1.6 billion bequest to The Salvation Army.
2007: The Greenville Community helped The Salvation Army raise the community match endowment dollars required to receive a Kroc Center.
2009: The groundbreaking ceremony took place at the site of The Salvation Army Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center, which was led by Major Dalton Cunningham, Divisional Commander and Major Bobby Lancaster, Area Coordinator.
2011: The Salvation Army Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center opens in late summer.